Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Daily Corrections Clips


CALIFORNIA INMATES

Chelcey Adami, The Californian

Two-year-old Mary Ortega giggled and smiled as her father James Ortega hoisted her up in the air on Saturday afternoon.

She then tugged her father around by his finger as they played games while celebrating an early Father’s Day in a yard at Salinas Valley State Prison.

“Being a father is the greatest gift in the world. I love my daughter,” he said.

James Ortega is from San Jose and said he tries to stay in contact with his daughters “as much as possible to make sure they know the sound of my voice.”

Jessica Austin, VICE

You can, in fact, fight fire in the rain. I was told this by my captain when I first got to fire camp and I thought he was nuts. Twelve months later, almost to the day, I was standing on a mountain, fighting fire, in a thunderstorm, with the word 'PRISONER' stamped on the back of my uniform.

For two years and three months, I worked as an inmate firefighter in a unique prison camp in San Diego County. My first stint in jail was from a DUI I got in 2009. After I got out of the county jail, I didn't deal with my myriad issues, instead I tried to cram them into the tiny piece of myself that housed all my pain, self-loathing and insecurities. I spent the next year in a downward spiral of depression, using alcohol as my numbing agent. Then I got the second DUI and was sent to prison.

The Times-Standard

Press release from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation:

A minimum-security inmate from the California Correctional Center walked away from High Rock Conservation Camp in Weott (CC #32) on June 12, 2016.

Inmate Erwin Young, 33, is a black male, 5’ 11” tall, 213 pounds, with brown eyes and black hair. He was committed to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) on November 4, 2015, from Contra Costa County for Vehicle Theft. He was scheduled to be released from CDCR custody on February 21, 2017.

CALIFORNIA PRISONS

Louis A. Scott, KALW

The STEP Project (Sex Trafficking Exploitation Prevention Project) was started by Cathleen Jackson− a long time San Quentin volunteer− and me, Louis A. Scott.

I was a pimp and I've chosen to share my knowledge of the life with the members of STEP in order to combat this crisis of Sex Trafficking that is currently plaguing our communities. Members of STEP have created PSA's, training videos on prevention, as well as have held public forums to educate community activists on prevention.

The slogan of this project is to speak up and speak out− and that applies not only to victims, but also those of us that have been offenders.

CDCR NEWS

Liebert Cassidy Whitmore, Lexology

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) employed Shiekh Iqbal (real party in interest) as a Parole Agent assigned to Alameda County. Iqbal developed a working relationship with the Union City Police Department (UCPD or Department) and would contact the Department with work-related inquiries for criminal history information through the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS).

On October 29, 2007, Iqbal contacted a UCPD dispatcher and asked her to check the criminal history information regarding a third party who was a personal acquaintance of Iqbal. The dispatcher accessed CLETS and relayed the results to Iqbal.

CORRECTIONS RELATED

David Alessandrini, Delaware 1059

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) released its annual U.S. Firefighter Fatalities report recently, which showed a total of 68 firefighters died while on duty in the U.S. in 2015.

This represents the fourth time in the past five years the total number of deaths has been below 70. The largest share of firefighter deaths occurred while firefighters were operating at fires (24 deaths), accounting for just over one-third of the on-duty deaths last year. This is the fourth time in the last six years that the total is fewer than 25 deaths.