Thursday, September 3, 2015

Daily Corrections Clips



CDCR NEWS

 The Bakersfield Californian

California State Prison’s acting warden since 2014 has officially been appointed the prison’s warden, according to a news release from the officer of Gov. Jerry Brown.


Almost 2,000 California prison inmates in solitary confinement, some for decades, are to be released into general prison populations in a landmark settlement.

The legal ruling will end the controversial use of indefinite solitary confinement to control prison gangs. It follows several widespread hunger strikes protesting against the practice, which critics say can cause severe psychological effects, including a heightened suicide risk. Inmates in solitary spend up to 23 hours a day in their cells, most of which have no windows. They are separated from family visitors by glass and their rare phone calls are restricted.


State prison officials Wednesday circulated a photo of an inmate who escaped Tuesday from a Los Angeles re-entry facility where he was finishing out his sentence.

Hugo Andalon, 21, who was scheduled to be paroled later this month, had been participating in the Male Community Reentry Program in Los Angeles County since July 21.

Andalon scaled a fence to make his getaway, according to Krissi Khokhobashvili of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.


SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - A California prison inmate who spent 26 years on death row for murder has died of natural causes, the fourth so far this year in a state that hasn't carried out an execution since 2006.

Ronald Harold Seaton, 69, died last week at Marin General Hospital near San Francisco, state prison authorities said on Wednesday.

He had been on death row at San Quentin State Prison since 1989.


An environmental consultant has been brought into the hunt for the source of Legionnaires' disease at San Quentin state prison. After six days of testing, officials still do not know what caused the outbreak that has left more than 100 inmates sick and the sprawling historic prison in near-lockdown.

CALIFORNIA INMATES


SUSANVILLE, -- Officials say two inmates attacked and killed another prisoner with a manufactured weapon on a maximum-security yard of a Northern California prison.

State corrections department spokeswoman Dana Simas says prison officials are investigating the Monday attack against 33-year-old Matthew Jagger at High Desert State Prison in Susanville.

Simas says medical staff treated the Contra Costa County man before transferring him to an outside hospital where he died.


CALIFORNIA (KRON) —  A startling fact released Wednesday a California prison inmate dies or is killed, on the average of every 12 hours.  That is just one of the statistics available on a new state sponsored web site.

The data has shown us that in the last 10 years there have been 6,837 deaths in custody. 
That is an an average year of 684 people a year.

In most cases 61 percent of the reason is natural causes. Many prisoners die of sickness or old age.

CORRECTIONS RELATED


A former state prison guard convicted of pointing a loaded handgun fitted with a laser sight at a motorist during a 2014 road rage incident in Paso Robles avoided jail time and instead received probation Wednesday.

San Luis Obispo Superior Court Judge Roger Picquet sentenced Anthony James Behrens, 53, a former guard at Kern Valley State Prison, to three years of formal probation after Behrens was convicted by a jury Aug. 7 of brandishing a weapon at a person in a motor vehicle, a felony, and unlawful laser activity, a misdemeanor.

PROP 47


The California Supreme Court should overturn a lower court ruling that juvenile offenders have the same rights as adults to reduced sentences under Proposition 47, according to an appeal filed by the San Diego County district attorney.

Thousands of lawfully obtained DNA samples on file with the Department of Justice are hanging in the balance. - Appeal filed by San Diego Dist. Atty. Bonnie Dumanis
Dist. Atty. Bonnie Dumanis argued in a motion filed this week that if the July ruling by the 4th District Court of Appeal is allowed to stand, it could force the destruction of thousands of DNA samples taken from juveniles and adults who were convicted of felonies that were reduced to misdemeanors under the measure adopted in November.
 
The result would be costly to taxpayers as thousands of cases would need to be evaluated to see whether the defendant's offense was one that qualifies for "reclassification" to a misdemeanor, according to the appeal.